Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Note to self: chiste ≠ quiste
I never know if the television shows Adela and I watch during meals are in Spanish or in Valenciano, the local dialect of la Communidad Valencia, because they are very similiar. Almost all of the street signs in Valencia are written in Valenciano, but on every map they are in Spanish...makes it very confusing when you're lost. Tonight during dinner, Adela and I were watching a Spanish talk show similar to a late night show in the US but with two puppets as co-hosts.... a perfect example of how extrememly weird Spanish television is. The hosts started talking about some person and their "quistes." Because all I do is ask Adela random questions about anything and everything I encounter day to day, I naturally asked her what a "quiste" was and if it was the Valenicano version of the Spanish word for a joke, "chiste." They seem similar enough, right? Wrong. After several minutes of Adela laughing and struggling to describe a "quiste" to me, I finally just got out my dictionary. A "quiste" is a cyst, definitely not a joke. Whoops. Better that I asked Adela, though, than tell my professors that I have a new "quiste" for them that's really funny!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment